Sailor Moon: Petite Etrangere Announced

Suggestions, comments or questions? Post them here!

Re: Sailor Moon: Petite Etrangere Announced

Postby TiakerAvelonna » Mon Sep 15, 2014 9:04 pm

Ha! I might start using some of those at work. Until I get caught. >.>

That is my new favorite website. :seiya: :seiya:
TiakerAvelonna
devoid of all sanity

Postby TiakerAvelonna » Mon Sep 15, 2014 9:53 pm

...OH MY GOD THIS PLUTO IS FREAKING FANTASTIC SHE BARELY OPENED HER MOUTH AND I WAS SCREAMING. :yaten: :yaten:
TiakerAvelonna
devoid of all sanity

Postby TiakerAvelonna » Tue Sep 16, 2014 2:06 am

*Gets to second act*
*Watches scene with Demando being a TOTAL creeper*
*Watches scene after*
*Blinks*
*FLIPS TABLES*

PISSY, SPOILERY RANT BELOW-ALL CAPS

WHAT WAS THAT?? WHAT WAS THAT MONSTROSITY OF A PLOT CHANGE? DEMANDO IS THE LEADER OF THE BLACK MOON CLAN, NOT SAPHIR! THAT WAS A COMPLETELY POINTLESS PLOT CHANGE THAT COMPLETELY DIMINISHES DEMANDO'S ROLE. THEY DON'T EVEN KILL SAPHIR PROPERLY (though a few props to Pluto for having the strength to finish him off with a Chronos Typhoon). THAT ALMOST COMPLETELY RUINED THE SHOW FOR ME. WE DON'T EVEN GET A PROPER BOSS FIGHT WITH DEATH PHANTOM; JUST A CUTESY SONG. MARINA'S SHOWS HAD MORE CANON CONSISTENCY THAN THIS. ARGLEBARGLE RAAAAAAAAAAAAAGE. :rei: :rei: :rei: :rei:

Going to bed. *Grump*
TiakerAvelonna
devoid of all sanity

Postby p-chan » Tue Sep 16, 2014 11:23 am

Yeah, that change in plot/command was quite a surprise. I thought they wanted to keep things more true to the manga. But oh well... The old musicals took their liberties too.

Actually, I was not that annoyed when THIS Demando was axed prematurely. He/She reminded me so of Akiyama Chinatsu as Leader (Star Fighter) in SRD and KOK - a bit like a fish out of water in that role. I really missed Hikari there :sad: .

Also annoying was that they omitted Chibiusa's iconic arrival scene :mad: . Instead they just talked about it in Mamoru's room - what a bore. And the other iconic scene - when Usa/Mamo are told that Chibiusa is their daughter - they messed up, too. That is, they totally watered it down. I think that was mostly due to having only Venus with them on stage at that time instead of the full set of Senshi (especially Mars!).

On the same note: After you watched it, did any memorable melodies float through your head? Not here. No catchy tunes at all (Moonlight Densetsu doesn't count :razz: ).
Minna dareka ni aisarete...
p-chan
Myu is life!

Postby p-chan » Tue Sep 16, 2014 11:30 am

On the good side: I still like Satomi's Usagi. As long as she does not sing. :embarrassed:
p-chan
Myu is life!

Postby TiakerAvelonna » Tue Sep 16, 2014 11:41 am

I stopped at the curtain call due to needing sleep. Starshine of Love was pretty catchy, but that's the song I was upset that they put in rather than a true boss fight. Yes, to me the plot felt very rushed an/or non-existent. And I agree; Erika had a solid start with Codename: Replay Operation, but I was paying far more attention to Rubeus' actress and continued to do so. And damn, was Demando's scene with Usagi hella creepy. :eh:

Satomi has gotten probably 75% better (the others 110%), but still had her bad moments. And did anyone else think that Shiori sounded different? Maybe she tried using a more "grown-up" voice as Venus (even though she's already 22).

EDIT: For some reason, I found Black Lady's dress...off. Maybe it was because they did the slit up the side AND the blue covering rather than one or the other? And can anyone tell me why Mercury seems to have pads on the hands of her gloves? :makoto:
TiakerAvelonna
devoid of all sanity

Postby kamicokrolock » Tue Sep 16, 2014 1:55 pm

I actually liked the music and book better this time around. I've tried to re-watch/listen to LR but I can't, It just annoys me too much.

I liked that they took Demand in a different direction. Hikari's demand was so perfect. If I did not Know any better I'd say they wrote that Part in BL specifically for her. They even put quite a bit of money into her costume with the Moire silk (likely synthetic) and all the crystals and trims the put on it. Erikas costume was just satin, had less trims and had a little bitty cape. Demand was kinda Hikari's masterpiece when you compare all her roles. And she was a big fan fav. I think the shows creative team took this into account when they changed Demand up. If history has taught us anything is that Actresses who take on roles Hikar played in the shows are doomed to fail (or at least not gain neirly as much attention and love from the fans as Hii does.)
Erika Demand is a complete and utter jerk unworthy of the audiences pitty. Which is closer to the origins of his character. Hikari's Demand is mentally unstable due to his obsession with Serenity and wanting to make Nemisis like Earth. He does eventually come to his senses and when his character perishes helping the Senshi you want to cry. When Erika Demand dies you go good riddins.
A comparison of the curtain calls also shows a difference in importance of the character. Erika Demand's place is down with the villains next to Black Lady the closest she gets to the senshi is ChibiMoon. In Ai No Santuary and BL kaiteban Hikari Demand's Place was right next to Moon with Chibi Moon on the other side. Kenji was reduced to standing next to ChibiMoon.

Oh those gloves- All the girls had those dots, they look like grips to me. they Used a really shinny fabric for the gloves this time around so I''m sure they are slippery and wanted to make sure the girls did not accidentally loose their grips on props and send them flying into the audience :usagi: . If you noticed Mars and Venus wear clear bands of elastic around their insteps to keep their shoes on. This is an actual product used by standard ballroom dancers as standard style shoes tend to be strapless. Most dance supply stores sell these.
A good nightmare comes so rarely...
kamicokrolock
Myu obsessed +1

Postby TiakerAvelonna » Tue Sep 16, 2014 10:46 pm

Yeah; the old Myu Venuses and Mars had them too, I think. If not just straight colored straps. I only saw them on Mercury until the curtain call, when I saw them on Moon.

I get what you're saying (at least I think I do), but I'm not 100% sure it's fair to say that Erika got her role reduced because she wasn't as good or popular as Hikari. She's Zuka OG, for goodness' sake. I will admit that she wasn't as good as Hikari, but I think that's *because* she was pushed to the sidelines in favor of Saphir. Just because Demando isn't a redeemable villain doesn't mean he can be bumped off early. And I'm pretty sure Hikari was so close to the front because she was had been around a lot longer than Kenji and had a much larger role. Kenji barely even got to BE Endymion, never mind get a whole song. :usagi:
TiakerAvelonna
devoid of all sanity

Postby kamicokrolock » Tue Sep 16, 2014 11:40 pm

I wasn't necessarily saying they made Demand a smaller role in PE because Erika was not popular. I thought it was a pretty big role actally. What I meant to say is that they dramatically changed Demand's role in BL because Hikari was popular and It would bode better with fans if Hikari's villain turned out to be a good guy.The original Kaguya had Loof die and not come back then they changed it so she is revived by Moon and comes back in princess gear. A similar thing happened in TNM vs its revision. The original has Vampiru commit suicide, the revision scraped it all together. I think this was to appease fans. I thought the original outcome for both characters was better and more meaningful.

There was a lot of kids crying in BL when Demand dies/dissapears and I think that's because the kids were familiar with Hikari not necessarily because they liked him.

By not casting a fan fav (and not tailoring the shows for kids anymore)in the role of Demand the writers did not have to adjust his character to fit fans expectations. I felt that Safir was more a minor character compared to Demand until Safir grew some balls and offed him. I thought Erika was particularly good, just in a different way. She's not the type of actress who would draw me to a show just to see her. She's more the type that you see in a show you were going to see anyway and would think "wow, Im impressed, she was pretty good". Hikari on the other hand, would draw me in to come see even the most horrible of shows imagined, even if she was in the ensemble, 'cuz she's just that good. (She was in Honk! the Musical which I hated, but I would have gone to see here in it.)

TiakerAvelonna wrote: And I'm pretty sure Hikari was so close to the front because she was had been around a lot longer than Kenji and had a much larger role. Kenji barely even got to BE Endymion, never mind get a whole song. :usagi:

If that were true, then Mochi should have been up front in center in the dracul arc shows (along with other sempai cast members). Myu almost always places Villains in the back line during curtain calls, no matter how large their role. In fact, curtain call line up is usally based on the order they take their individual bows and Demand's was always the last of the villans but before the senshi and Tux. I think it really was more fan service than anything else. And maybe becuse Marina was so young and awkard at first. I'd feel confident with her standing next to me (and maybe a few other things :haruka: ).
kamicokrolock
Myu obsessed +1

Postby TiakerAvelonna » Wed Sep 17, 2014 1:16 am

That is true. I was thinking more canon-canon than musical canon. It completely flies in the face of the manga. Not that BL *doesn't*-it totally does by not having Death Phantom just blow Demando to pieces. I guess I feel that BL doesn't disregard the manga as much (never mind the kids; screw the kids) as PE did. I don't know why it pissed me off as much as it did; it's *MYU.* Random changes to the plot are what Myu DOES. It was just...I dunno...it felt really WRONG to me. I can see where you're coming from, though.

But can we at least agree that the voice for Wiseman was absolutely terrible? :usagi:

OH! I remember now. When I was watching Yuuga's scenes as Endymion, I thought I saw a...well...line about halfway down her forehead. Above was a significant skin tone difference from the rest of her face. I didn't really notice it when she was Mamoru/Tuxedo Kamen. Surely her wig doesn't go THAT far down. Oo
TiakerAvelonna
devoid of all sanity

Postby p-chan » Wed Sep 17, 2014 1:55 am

kamicokrolock wrote:What I meant to say is that they dramatically changed Demand's role in BL because Hikari was popular and It would bode better with fans if Hikari's villain turned out to be a good guy.The original Kaguya had Loof die and not come back then they changed it so she is revived by Moon and comes back in princess gear. A similar thing happened in TNM vs its revision. The original has Vampiru commit suicide, the revision scraped it all together.

I'd like to disagree on this. Quite a number of Myus had the villains redeemed in the very end (starting with 1st stage's Ai no Senshi e no michi, I think). This is in line with the overall message of Sailor Moon: "overcoming evil with good" which also means the good guys not using the same methods/outcomes (i.e. killing) as the bad guys. The bad guys force the Senshi to fight - and to fight hard - but in the end there is always some sort of redemption. And you might well see the Kaitebans as "end" of a particular story; just think of the harsh way the original Stars Myu ended with Moon hating and fighting off Galaxia, but in Eien (the continuation of the Stars story) Galaxia was finally saved (and even Chaos was not destroyed but just dispersed - acknowledging in a way the necessity of chaos in our lives).

Well OK, not all incarnations of Sailor Moon featured the same degree of "redemption". The Manga was more bent on killing the enemy. But the Anime had almost everyone "saved" in the end. That's one reason I like the anime better :hotaru: .
p-chan
Myu is life!

Postby p-chan » Wed Sep 17, 2014 2:05 am

TiakerAvelonna wrote:I don't know why it pissed me off as much as it did; it's *MYU.* Random changes to the plot are what Myu DOES. It was just...I dunno...it felt really WRONG to me. I can see where you're coming from, though.

It didn't feel so much wrong to me - more like (completely?) unnecessary, and I was like "where the *** did that twist come from?! :eh:

And did they actually use a MALE voice actor for Wiseman? Or was it just a computer altered female voice? It sounded like a male one to me.

Let's start the rumor that Osabu did the voice acting for Wiseman in PE. :seiya:

edit: in this post I mixed up Wiseman and Death Phantom, sorry.
Last edited by p-chan on Wed Sep 17, 2014 3:10 am, edited 2 times in total.
p-chan
Myu is life!

Postby TiakerAvelonna » Wed Sep 17, 2014 2:16 am

p-chan wrote:And did they actually use a MALE voice actor for Wiseman? Or was it just a computer altered female voice? It sounded like a male one to me.

Let's start the rumor that Osabu did the voice acting for Wiseman in PE. :seiya:

Oh let's do. :seiya: :seiya:

To me, Wiseman sounded female, but Death Phantom was definitely male.
TiakerAvelonna
devoid of all sanity

Postby p-chan » Wed Sep 17, 2014 3:08 am

TiakerAvelonna wrote:
p-chan wrote:And did they actually use a MALE voice actor for Wiseman? Or was it just a computer altered female voice? It sounded like a male one to me.

Oh let's do. :seiya: :seiya:

To me, Wiseman sounded female, but Death Phantom was definitely male.

AHHHH! I got it the wrong way round. :minako: Of course you're right! Osabu voiced Death Phantom not Wiseman (who was most definitely female, agreed, and played by one of the Droids actresses). Sorry :sad: .
p-chan
Myu is life!

Postby TiakerAvelonna » Wed Sep 17, 2014 11:17 am

It's cool. It was late. I still wub you. :haruka:
TiakerAvelonna
devoid of all sanity

Postby HalpandoMoon » Wed Sep 17, 2014 12:02 pm

i just saw PE and omg i love it :D

and pluto's enterance did the same thing to be, bairly opened her mouth to sing and i was GONE from how POWERFUL her first three words were

also, this is a really cool shot for pluto:
http://postimg.org/image/p906v7jch/
HalpandoMoon
Myu fan

Postby kamicokrolock » Wed Sep 17, 2014 1:51 pm

TiakerAvelonna wrote: OH! I remember now. When I was watching Yuuga's scenes as Endymion, I thought I saw a...well...line about halfway down her forehead. Above was a significant skin tone difference from the rest of her face. I didn't really notice it when she was Mamoru/Tuxedo Kamen. Surely her wig doesn't go THAT far down. Oo

Yea, the wig lace can sometimes go that far down. It's more secure that way, but can be more noticeable. Usually its trimmed so that there is no more than an inch sitting on the forehead. Also, sometimes makeup gets on the lace which make it more noticeable. I noticed wig lace edges on Moon And Mercury as well.

p-chan wrote:I'd like to disagree on this. Quite a number of Myus had the villains redeemed in the very end (starting with 1st stage's Ai no Senshi e no michi, I think). This is in line with the overall message of Sailor Moon: "overcoming evil with good" which also means the good guys not using the same methods/outcomes (i.e. killing) as the bad guys. The bad guys force the Senshi to fight - and to fight hard - but in the end there is always some sort of redemption. And you might well see the Kaitebans as "end" of a particular story; just think of the harsh way the original Stars Myu ended with Moon hating and fighting off Galaxia, but in Eien (the continuation of the Stars story) Galaxia was finally saved (and even Chaos was not destroyed but just dispersed - acknowledging in a way the necessity of chaos in our lives).

I mentioned that earlier. They did do that, but usually in line with the Manga or only if they had greatly departed from the manga. Galaxia was always redeemed because it wasn't really her being evil, It was Chaos inside of her, Nehelina never got that chance, Beryl was after the musicals revived her again for Eien. No redemption for Dark Plasman (that's all that comes to mind at the moment I'm really only good for the shows dating from "96 to "01). So it was not a rule that they had to redeem Demand. I used the loof and Vampiru examples because it seemed to me that the littlest of audience members were quite upset at Hikari's characters' fates in the originals of both those shows. If I had been a writer for the shows, knowing my main audience is kids and that they really love Hii, I'd deviate from the manga description of Demand too.

I can't even begin to Imagin Hikari playing this new Demand, It just does not feel right for her.
kamicokrolock
Myu obsessed +1

Postby TiakerAvelonna » Wed Sep 17, 2014 11:53 pm

kamicokrolock wrote:Yea, the wig lace can sometimes go that far down. It's more secure that way, but can be more noticeable. Usually its trimmed so that there is no more than an inch sitting on the forehead. Also, sometimes makeup gets on the lace which make it more noticeable. I noticed wig lace edges on Moon And Mercury as well.

Fair point. That way you're less likely to tug at it to try to adjust it, I suppose. Plus everyone seemed to have done a lot more running and jumping and tumbling and being flung about this time compared to LR. Plus I doubt anyone was close enough to the stage to notice, and if they did...well...it's Yuuga. :seiya:

Also, anyone have a favorite song? I think I have to go with Chronos Guardian by a long shot, with Codename: Replay Operation next.
TiakerAvelonna
devoid of all sanity

Postby p-chan » Thu Sep 18, 2014 2:08 am

HalpandoMoon wrote:and pluto's enterance did the same thing to be, bairly opened her mouth to sing and i was GONE from how POWERFUL her first three words were

also, this is a really cool shot for pluto:
http://postimg.org/image/p906v7jch/

Oh yes, that is a wonderful picture! Image Great find!

And amongst all the new music for PE "Who goes there" comes nearest to a real song I think. It's just a shame they put in so much reverb (hall effect?), so you can barely make out her real voice.
p-chan
Myu is life!

Postby p-chan » Thu Sep 18, 2014 2:17 am

TiakerAvelonna wrote:Also, anyone have a favorite song? I think I have to go with Chronos Guardian by a long shot, with Codename: Replay Operation next.

"Codename..." reminded me a lot of "Erosion Boy" from La Req. Maybe that is only because both are set in such low/deep notes, almost out of the singers' voice range. And think of it: even for a native english singer it would have been difficult to sing a line like "Codename: Replay Operation". How much more awkward this must be for Japanese singers? The lyricist must have had a mean day... :embarrassed:

As for my favourite, hmmm. That would be "Line up..." I guess, even if it was recycled from La Req because in my opinion it was better performed in PE (and Mercury got to sing, too :ami: ).

Actually, Momoyo Ami's singing voice was very nice. If I'm not mistaken she applied a very slight vibrato, too, just enough so to be heard but not so much to make it annoyingly obvious. Pity that she didn't have longer solos.
p-chan
Myu is life!

PreviousNext

Return to Site Announcements and Discussion